April 18, 2016

Storm The Gates


Jesus said, "I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it."  I really misunderstood these words of Jesus' for a long time.  I somehow thought whne Jesus talked about the gates of Hell not prevailing that he meant, "If you stay in the church-- Hell can't getchya."  I don't really know how I got that idead from what Jesus actually said, but I do think I know WHY I thought that.  The church seems to be brimming with an attitude of "defense."  I.e. we're just trying to stay safe and secure.  We hope if we believe the right things, avoid the bad things and go to church seriices that God will forgives us and bless us and keep the big bad devil away from us.  Maybe I'm overstating it a little bit, but I'm sure you know what I'm taling about.

The point is--what Jesus actually said is RADICALLY DIFFERENT than that.  Jesus' words in Matthew 16:18 are one-hundred and eighty degrees opposite of a defensive mindset.  Jesus is thinking OFFENSE!  Jesus is saying the ekklesia (that's the Greek word that's translated "church" in this verse) that I'm going to build will be so filled with my love, grace, power and courage--that the gates of Hell itself won't be able to stop them from bursting through, right into the darkness with the message of the cross and liberating souls from darkness!

That mindset is the inspiration behind the title of my soon to be released album STORM THE GATES!

Storm The Gates is a blend of SACRED and SECULAR.  I took nine classic hard-rock/metal songs from the 1970s & 80s and parodied the lyrics from a Christ-honoring perspective.  I wanted to create an album that musically paid homage to the musicians who inspired me to become a musician and at the same time I wanted to redeem the message for the glory of Christ. 

The first song, "JESUS ROCK SOLID" (a parody of Detroit Rock City, by KISS) is scheduled to be released at pastorbradrocks.com with an accompanying video on YouTube, Friday, April 29th.  After that I will share a new track every Friday until the entire album is released.  The album will be released on CD Baby, July 4th.  CD Baby will then push it out to all of the major music distributors.

I'm so looking forward to sharing this album with you!  To stay informed, sign up for my weekly Pastor Brad Rocks eMail today---RIGHT HERE!